9.09.2011

Bless Our Nest

Things are starting to get crazy around here with school starting for me this week!  Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to spend as much time on my projects, but hopefully I will be able to find the time to blog about a few things I have been working on.

I love when people refer to their homes as nests.  There is something comforting about the term to me, especially as baby birds start entering the picture!  I had been wanting to make a “nest” sign for awhile and happened to come across this vinyl bird at Craft’s Direct in St. Cloud.  I really liked it and knew it would fit perfectly with the sign.  


I had an old frame from Goodwill that I had painted.  I found a tutorial at Muse of the Morning on how to transfer words onto different surfaces.  The key is to use a printer with toner and print the image backwards.  I had my words printed out at Office Max since my printer does not use toner.  I had originally kept the painting inside the frame and just painted white over it, but when I tried to transfer the words the paint ended up peeling off.  I decided to use a piece of tag board instead.  After I printed off my phrase, I lined it up on the tag board and rubbed the backside with nail polish remover.  Acetone was used in the original tutorial, but I used nail polish remover since I already had it on hand.  I then took a spatula and rubbed it over the image to make sure it completely transferred.  I did not like the look of the pure white tag board, so I made my own glaze with a few drops of brown acrylic paint and water.  I painted the entire surface with the mixture, but some spots ended up with more glaze than others.  This is one of those times that my perfectionism enters the picture and wants me to completely start over, but I convinced myself it was just fine and decided to leave it!


Our nest has officially been established.  I plan on keeping this little sign around for many years.  Hopefully, our nest will continue to grow, but not for a few years :).


Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a message, i always love to hear what you have to say!