12.02.2011

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall

This was the mirror in our bathroom when we moved into our house.  Oh, and apologies for the really poor quality, it was taken on my phone awhile back.


As you can see, it was a little...typical.  I got the idea to frame the mirror to make it custom from a house I used to work at, but have since seen many tutorials for it online.  It is a very simple project for anyone to do.


Or for your husband to do for you.  Now let's get something straight.  I did NOT marry someone who loves DIY projects and building things.  But then again, he probably thought the same about me at the time (this obsession of mine didn't start until AFTER the wedding).  Anyway, his obsession hasn't started yet (hoping it will soon), but he is willing to try and I couldn't be more grateful.

I did help out a little with the project though.  I helped pick out the trim AND I came up with the idea to tape it up while the caulk dried :).  We wanted white trim, so we bought the pre-painted stuff at Menards and saved ourselves a little work.  Cody cut the corners at 45 degree angles, however there are (for lack of a better word) things you can buy for the corners to avoid that.  I liked the look of the angles.


He we used clear caulk to attach the frame to the mirror.  The mirror looks much better, and the hubby even suggested a new light fixture!  See, he is getting there.  

We also had to buy a new shower curtain rod when we moved into the house, but the problem was it had to be mounted so high in order to avoid the subway tile running up the wall.  This made our shower curtain much too short.  


A simple solution for this problem is to buy a piece of fabric and sew it to the bottom of your existing curtain. This not only saves money, but also makes your shower curtain custom and unique (just like your new mirror!)


And as soon as I get sick of this fabric, I will easily be able to trade it out with another fabric.  And that, my friends, is my absolute favorite thing about doing it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a message, i always love to hear what you have to say!